Today was my first day of being part-time. I was home in the middle of the day while my students were at school. It was hard for me to "let go" and "let God" but I'm learning. I am a control-freak and a perfectionist. I like things done a certain way. I like to be in charge. I LOVE to teach. I LOVE to see my students "get it." However, I LOVE being a mother way more. It physically makes my heart hurt being away from Brennan when I know he is doing so much more now. I feel like I need to be here for him now. He'll be talking soon and I want to teach him his ABCs. I want to teach him songs and how to count. I want to take him to the zoo and the aquarium. I want to be with him more than on just the weekends.
When we decided I should go part-time we had to consider us taking a pay cut. I would basically be losing one paycheck a month. It was going to be hard with lots of cut-backs, less eating out, less shopping :(, and more staying at home. So before my paycheck takes a nose-dive I have put my mad couponing skills to the test and started stocking up on toiletry items, household items, frozen meats, canned foods and some boxed foods. I have to say that I am pretty proud at being a savvy shopper. (I once had $40 extra care bucks to use at CVS! :) Truthfully, I am ready for my life to slow down. I feel like it is passing me by some days. By letting go and letting God, I am really interested in how He is going to work and show up. I am really excited to see how His plan unfolds and I am sooooo thankful for this opportunity!
Although being with Brennan is my #1 reason for going part-time, there some other reasons that definitely made it more appealing.
1. Being a more-rested mommy and teacher. Let's face it. Life can be crazy busy and it's really difficult doing "life" 24/7. It's way more tiring and difficult being a full-time teacher and a full-time mommy at the same time. I don't have ANY idea how people with more than one child do it! Those people are MY HEROS! I already stated above my reasons for staying home with Brennan some days. Oh yes, let me tell you my schedule. I'll work Mondays, Tuesdays, and every other Wednesday. I'll have Thursdays and Fridays off. Brennan will go to my mom's house the Mondays and Wednesdays that I work and then he'll stay home with Brad on Tuesdays. I have a good friend that is doing the same thing with the same days as me so some playdates and interaction with other kids will hopefully happen. Brennan also goes to the nursery so he does play with other babies his age. I was concerned that he wouldn't be interacting socially but hopefully we can do some playdates!
2. Becoming a better teacher. I am, without a shadow of doubt, a teacher. I love, love, LOVE teaching. It is my passion. I would love to focus some of my days off with coming up with better lessons, workstations, activities and etc. for my students. Right now, I have a huge tub of papers, activities, books to look and sort through for reading groups and workstations. Basically, I want to come up with a variety of activities for different workstations so that my kids won't get bored with them. More focused, engaged students = less behavior problems. :)
3. Working on our house. Even though I won't be bringing in extra money this year, I have a house to-do list already started. I want to deep, deep, deep clean every room. Some rooms need to be touched up with paint and the walls need to be wiped down.
4. LOSE SOME WEIGHT! Well, so far so good on this one. (knock on wood!!!) Since the beginning of August, I've lost 7 lbs!!! Pretty stoked since my sister is getting married in a week and a half and my dress wouldn't zip up. (Long story on that one.) But it's been let out a bit and with some of the weight loss it looks really good. But I'm not celebrating yet. I have many, many, many more pounds to lose until I am at the weight I would like to be.
5. Possibly going back to school to get my master's. I am still on the fence on this one. I would LOVE to do this but I'm not sure what our plan is for our family just yet. It would be for two solid years. I really, really want to but I'm just a little unsure.
Well, those are some of my reasons. I have tons more but I'm ready for bed. And really ready to sleep in tomorrow! Yay!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment