I mentioned in this post that the first two weeks of Brennan's life were also pretty much the worst two weeks of mine. I have debated on doing this post just for the sheer reason of not wanting to discourage anyone. My situation was just "not typical." I would love to say that Brennan's first two weeks with me were just awesome but to be honest they weren't. It was terrible. Bringing a baby home is supposed to be a joyous occasion. But when you are so sick you can barely hold your own baby there is nothing joyous about it. When you have to rely on other people to feed your own child it's just not joyous. I am so thankful to have had so many wonderful friends and family to help out with Brennan, do housework, and bring us food. We could NOT have done it without our friends, family, church family and God. He watched out for us.
This is going to be done in two parts. So Part #1...
I worked until Friday, October 16th. I was soooo ready to have B by that point. I remember that by Saturday night (the 17th) when he wasn't here yet that I started to cry. I was emotional, tired, cranky and just plain sick of being pregnant. I wanted my baby out of my ribs and in my arms! Brad and I spent most of Tuesday (the 20th) running errands, napping, and just hanging out before we became first-time parents. My mom came and cleaned my house the day before so Brad and I could enjoy our last day of being married without children. I had a doctor's appointment so we went to lunch and then to the doc's office. I had dilated to 3 cm so the doc said I could go in for my induction at 6 am instead of midnight. YAY for one more night of sleep!!! We went for a late, late dinner at Cracker Barrel since I couldn't eat after midnight. During the night I had terrible, terrible back pains which we finally chalked up to being back labor. I couldn't get comfortable and didn't fall asleep until after 2 am. So much for my night of sleep! Ha! We got up around 4 am since they told us to be there by 5 so I could get started at 6. By 6 am I was hooked up and ready to go! Sure enough I had been having contractions.
Since I wasn't quite ready for my epidural they gave me some pain medication which knocked me out for a few hours and I was able to get some sleep. I remember waking up and being in lots of pain. The nurse checked me and said I was ready for my epidural. YAY! They get me in position for the ep. I remember having a very difficult time sitting still which later caused a major problem for me. Since I was having issues they gave me a little more pain medication which helped them give me the ep. After that everything in the world was right again! Ha!
Once I was back in La-La Land, Brad decided to run downstairs and grab a bite to eat. I was snoozing away and there was a nurse in there with me. When he came back, he said there were like 15 people in there working on me. My blood pressure was getting really high and Brennan's heart rate had dropped. So they start rolling me back and forth, trying to get his heart rate back up. They put me on oxygen and finally got me in a position that was safe for us both. When I woke up I asked Brad what had happened. I pulled the mask off and they told me to put it back on. I remember them rolling me back and forth but I was seriously so out of it. He told me what had happened and I just wanted everything to be over with.
Soon I was ready to push. FINALLY! I pushed 4 or 5 times. The doc realized that 1/2 cm had not dilated. He gave us the option to wait an hour and see if I dilate the other half cm or go ahead and do a c-section. I really didn't want a c-section. As we were thinking it over, my blood pressure skyrocketed and Brennan's heart rate plummeted. The doc pretty much took the offer back and said I had to have a c-section immediately. So to surgery I went. It was kind of scary how fast everyone started moving. They took Brad to get him ready and gave me something disgusting to drink.
To Be Continued...

No comments:
Post a Comment