I knew my senior year of high school that I wanted to be a teacher. I volunteered at the local elementary school in the afternoons and I loved it. And I knew exactly what grade I wanted to teach. 2nd grade. I think 2nd grade is absolutely awesome. It is MY grade. The students are still really sweet and eager to learn and they don't know many bad words yet. Even the words they do know, they don't use correctly. Haha. When I got asked to move from 2nd to 3rd grade I jumped at the chance. This was the grade of my dreams and I was so excited. Last year was my first year in 2nd grade and my first full year of teaching. I had the dream class. Kristi calls them The Brady Bunch. They were sooooooo smart and well-behaved. Now, my class this year is wonderful too. I love each and every one of my students. I pray for them daily. Most mornings I can't wait to get there and see them. (Yes, I said most. I am human. There are some mornings where I want to sleep in!)
Teaching is such a hard profession when it comes to spreading God's word. I would love to sit down and tell all of my students about God and His undying and gracious love for them, but I'm not allowed to. So I jump at any opportunity I get to "encourage". Let me give you an example.
The other morning I had Bertha on my reading table. (Bertha is my old black planner.) If was checking something and one of my students asked, "Is that your bible?" I could have instantly said no, but I took the opportunity and answered it differently.
Me: "No, my bible is at home on the kitchen table so I can read it in the mornings."
The student: "Do you go to church Mrs. Appleberry?"
Me: "Oh, yes. Every Sunday. Do you go to church?"
TS: "Yes, when I am with my grandparents."
Me: "That's great! Church can be very important and fun."
I don't know if I stepped over a line. I certainly hope not, but I got so excited talking about it with my student. I hope they all step foot in a church at some point in their lives. I pray that they will become believers!

3 comments:
amen girl! You should be able to Encourge them to go to church, whatever church that may be!
No, you didn't overstep the line! I would have done the EXACT same thing!
Thinking of you!
Mandy
You did the right thing. I was always told if they started the conversation you can run with it. Keep your prayers going for those students. Love you!!!
Post a Comment